[Dbix-class] Monkey-patching around a MySQL/UTF8 bug

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Thu Feb 26 15:55:10 GMT 2015

On 02/26/2015 03:43 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> This bug in DBD::mysql is apparently not going to be fixed:
>    https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=60987

Before we go further - is there explicit statement from the DBD devs
that this is not going to be fixed? Perhaps just forgotten...?

> And it appears to work. However, I don't like monkey-patching like that.
> Is there a better way that I haven't been able to find in the
> DBIx::Class doco?

There isn't an overrideable point exposed for this, because "ugh". Also
it never came up until now. Also (as noted in that RT) - this will badly
break BLOB operations.

Let's first see whether the DBD is indeed unfixable, before we figure
out a way forward.