[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 16:17:20 GMT 2016

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 11:21:36AM +0100, Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/10/16 1:15 AM, "Ashley Pond V" <apv at sedition.com> wrote:
> >My view: MST must be respected but I personally defer to RIBASUSHI and
> >his judgement. I say, what he says, goes. He has earned the benefit of
> >the doubt. At least until it can be clearly demonstrated the approach
> >is harming the code base should that ever become the case.
>
> +1, I could not have written this better.

Given ribasushi's plan is "end all feature development because nobody else
can be trusted to add features without potentially introducing bugs", I'm
not sure how one could 'demonstrate harm' - freezing it and never adding
any features again is unlikely to *harm* the code base, merely kill the
project.

I mean, he's absolutely right that anybody else will, at this point,
be more likely to introduce bugs in the process of continuing development,
but if you read castaway's and ilmari's comments here:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2016/10/msg96192.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2016/10/msg96191.html

that's at least partially because we've been effectively locked out of
contributing to the codebase for a couple years now, and all development
has been basically done without the discussion that would help us understand
the implementation as well as the goals.

I mean, if you genuinely believe ribasushi's right, and nobody else in the
world is competent to add features to DBIx::Class ever again, then fair
enough, let's start planning the funeral. But I can't see how that's the
best possible outcome here for the userbase as a whole.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/