[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 20:59:09 GMT 2016

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 09:43:56PM +0100, Leo Lapworth wrote:
> On 4 October 2016 at 21:35, Christian Walde <walde.christian at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:32:18 +0200, rabbit+dbic at <rabbit.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Nevertheless, if nobody else finds this problematic: I will step aside
> >> and let an eager community, inadvertently suppressed all these years,
> >> steer this project further.
> >

> > Honestly, if anything i'd love to see a solution that offends everyone
> > equally.
> >
> > You preparing your feature-frozen-bugfix-only release in a different
> > namespace; mst's plan being used in the DBIx::Class namespace.
> >
> > That way people who're worried can stick to a stable branch of dbic, and
> > people who actually need more from DBIc at some point in the future aren't
> > lost in limbo.
> >
> > There's no need to deprive your stable-needing users of the work you had
> > planned to do, nor your far future users of a useful library, if both can
> > be served at the same time.
>
> +1

Note that we have prior technical art for providing bundled versions of
SQLA in dev releases which could absolutely be repurposed to allow for a
'use DBIx::Class::StabilityFreeze;' to work:

https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/blob/current/dq/lib/DBIx/Class/_TempExtlib.pm

(idea the result of discussion between riba and I, implemented by riba)

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/