[Dbix-class] Fwd: Re: GOVERNANCE: An actually concrete proposal w/bootstrap governance system

Darin McBride darin.mcbride at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 19 18:22:07 GMT 2016

On Wednesday October 19 2016 11:20:43 AM Dave Howorth wrote:

> > +1 to all Chris’s suggestions.
> >
> > john.
>
> I agree with Chris's observations too. It struck me that Matt's original
> voting proposals would mean that the community had no effect in
> practice; Chris's proposal seems to overcome that.
>
> So +1 to Chris's suggestions
> and -1 to the original proposal as proposed.
>
> Cheers, Dave
>
> PS In constructing low-energy buildings it is vital to achieve an
> excellent degree of airtightness, which is not familiar to most
> builders. One way to achieve it is by nominating an 'airtightness
> champion' but that only works if the champion has the power to stop work
> and even order rework. I see a parallel.

This is no different in most fields - when you have something of utmost
importance, you assign it to someone (or some group of people), and if things
don't pass their review, all work halts.  We do the same thing with security
at $work - if the security team doesn't sign off, it doesn't ship.

Also, this seems to fall in line with an earlier proposal to make the fifth
person "compatibility minded" which then earned a rebuke that such things
cannot be added after the fact.  However, it can - if the person in charge of
such things has an absolute veto over shipping (in this case, a non-dev CPAN
upload).

Chris's latter two suggestions are along the line of my own, but stricter and
clearer, so I would add +1 to those suggestions as well.  If you want to say
the community has a say, this puts some teeth behind it.  (Suggestion #1 I
would abstain from voting on :) )