[Epo-ec-advisors] Some thoughts on areas to address in the EC

Matt S Trout m.trout at shadowcat.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 12:16:08 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:25:37PM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Chris Prather <perigrin at gmail.com>:
> >> I also have a thinking-aloud question.  Has anyone done a post-mortem on
> >> P5EE?  Why did it die?  Is there anything of value on the body?
> >
> > I haven't seen anything official. My *personal* take on it (and one that
> > influences the directions I'm trying to have us take here) is that it failed
> > because it was trying to come up with one single solution that was entirely
> > new code. To me it seems better to pick exiting modules out of
> > CPAN that are emerging as best of breed and try to give them the help they
> > need to be the obvious choice.
>
> Speaking from outside P5EE, but someone monitoring the noise coming
> out of it, it started to do exactly what you are doing here, replacing
> TMWOWTDI with...
>
> "One Great Way To Do It!"
>
> There was a lot of talk in various directions, and at some point I
> think they just failed to get concensus and the message changed to
>
> "Many Great Ways To Do It!"

Except I don't believe they ever -released- either because they decided to
try and implement most of it themselves.

And, of course, the difference here is we don't need consensus that a
particular way is -best-, only that it's -popular- and -good-. This has to
be an exercise in shipping rather than one in perfectionism.

--
        Matt S Trout         Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue
     Technical Director      and a commit bit: http://shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/