[Epo-members-announce] Adding Padre, the Perl IDE as and EPO project

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:52:39 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Mark Keating <m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
> Gabor please feel free to keep pushing people into voting positively on
> this, it was your plea (though no vote rigging is allowed, this is not
> -INSERT NAME OF HOME COUNTRY-).

So whoever votes in favor will get a free beer-mat with Padre on it!
Sponsored by EPO.

(hmm, maybe if I offered a glass of beer on the beer-mat it worked better ?)

Anyway, some more items why Padre is important for Modern or Enlightened Perl:
Padre has now two objectives
1) To become the preferred development environment that comes with Perl
2) Become a platform for desktop application development

1) Once Strawberry Perl Professional for Windows is released
(hopefully next quarter)
    Padre will come built in with it. That currently means about
50,000 downloads
    a quarter. As you might have read the blog of Adam Kennedy he too
thinks that
    one of the missing pieces there is the IDE as many people who download Perl
    expect it to have a way to write and run code in a way familiar to
Windows users.

    Instead of letting them search for an editor such as Notepad++ or
to try to force
    them into the unix way (even if that is more powerful) we can
provide them with
    an integrated solution where they are actually pointed to the way
Perl can be written
    in 2010.

    The "comes with Perl" part of course will be relevant to
Strawberry Perl Professional
    only but that is the gateway most new comer will use in the Window world.

2) We will slowly turn Padre into a platform - in a similar way
Eclipse is started as an IDE but
     it is now a platform - to write (desktop) applications in. That
will probably help the acceptance
    of Perl as a platform that can actually replace Java in many of
the areas it is used now in
    the corporate world.

regards
    Gabor