[Handel] Portal cart

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Fri Aug 25 21:17:43 CEST 2006

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> In order to finish a portal I'm working on, I need the cart to be able to
> handle more dealers per cart. I just want to make sure there will be no
> surprises.

What's the difference between two dealers using a cart, and two internet
users using the cart? The two internet users would each have their own
shopper id, and their own records in the cart.

How would two 'dealers' be any different? Or is the point that both
dealers share the same cart record, but you need to tag item records per
dealer?

> It seems easy to add a dealer_id column to the cart. Then I can sort and
> process the items when checking out.

That's what confuses me. What's the difference between the dealer_id,
and a the shopper id field?

> I have to make several orders per cart, one for each dealer. And the orders
> have to use an already defined schema. I expect it to be possible without too
> much hassle?

Hopefully. It depends on how far out the schema is from the default
Handel schema in 0.99_0x.

> I see no methods to order or aggregate items per dealer, but perhaps
> Handel::Iterator can do this. I can't immediately see it from the
> documentation, but it might show up if I dig deeper.

$cart->items({dealer_id => 123});

> The demo checkout saves a lot of customer information (billing and shipping)
> onto the order. I guess that it is rather easy to avoid, if you have another
> customer information schema.

Right. Demos will only get you as far as the schema it's built on.
Different schema...difference issues.

> As I said, just trying to avoid stupid mistakes, as I don't know how
> much "Portalness" Handel already carries.

It would help me understand better what you're trying to accomplish with
some concrete examples. Dealer A does this, Dealer B this, the system
should do That, etc....maybe some database examples too.