[html-formfu] newbieFormFu error

Manu Kaul manu.kaul at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:00:47 GMT 2009

Hi Carl,Yeah I had a problem with my Controller file where I was doing :

use parent 'Catalyst::Controller';
AND
use base 'Catalyst::Controller::HTML::FormFu';

So I got rid of the first one and use the HTML::FormFu one instead.

I went ahead and changed my config file to add.yml with just the basic YAML
format that is shown on the advancedCRUD tutorial. I then had a problem
where it could not find the YAML file because the path was wrong. What I did
not realize was that if my Controller was called "MyApp.pm" then I cannot
call my config dir as "root/forms/MyApp/add.yml" instead it would have to be
"root/forms/myapp/add.yml"!

So fixed that as well. Now I don't get any errors but when I view the form
nothing appears on the screen at all. Its blank. How do I go about
debugging? I checked the logs but there was nothing there. It said it was
hitting my add.tt2 file to render.. which does have XHTML in it.

Cheers,
Manu

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/20 Manu Kaul <manu.kaul at gmail.com>:
> > That is the directory name. The file name is --> add.json.
> > Mind you I have not added Config::Any::JSON anywhere in my project. Do I
> > need this? And if so where should I add it?
> > I was told YAML is very sensitive to whitespace characters and that cou=
ld
> be
> > a problem. Though it does look much more readable.
> > What is your recommendation? Are you not allowed to use tabs or somethi=
ng
> > with YAML... what seems to be the rationale behind NOT using it? :)
>
> Config::Any::JSON comes as part of Config::Any
>
> What is in your Controller's `use parent` or `use base`?
> I've seen problems using Catalyst-Controller-HTML-FormFu with multiple
> base classes.
>
> The Catalyst project decided to switch their docs to Config::Any
> because copy/pasting YAML can cause problems, due to its whitespace
> sensitivity.
> I have my editor set to change any tabs to spaces, and rarely have
> problems using YAML, and when I do, it reports the line/column of any
> problems, so it's easily fixed.
>
> Cheers,
> Carl

-- =

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
- Michelangelo