[Fwd: [Html-widget] formfu - big changes!]

Mario Minati mario.minati at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:44:16 GMT 2007

Am Donnerstag 15 März 2007 12:24 schrieb Carl Franks:
> On 12/03/07, Mario Minati <mario.minati at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Von:  Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com>
> >
> > > You might notice in the above, it was 'text' and not 'Text'.
> > > I've lowercased all the element filenames.
> > > My reasoning is, that it was giving too high a visual cue to the
> > > element type, which isn't really the most important thing - generally
> > > the name is.
> > > I think in the yaml example above, the leading dash for each list item
> > > provides enough of a cue/divider between each element.
> > > Now, I'm not a 100% on this change, so I'm open to discussion, but I
> > > think it's generally for the best.
> >
> > Why don't you put in a 'lc' or 'ucfirst' so everyone can decide himself
> > howto write the elements?
>
> I'm not sure about this, because it would require us to do a full
> directory scan of all dirs in @INC.
> Although I'm trying not to optimize in advance, I do need formfu to be
> light weight enough to run in a CGI (non-persistent) environment.

mod_perl? module preload?

> I'm sure if case-insensitivity meant such a scan happening on every
> miss, most people would just use the correct case as a matter of
> course, so we wouldn't really gain anything in adding it.

No, I meant to force lower case module names, but give the user the
opportunity to write the type in the case he wants to and force it to
lowercase with lc.

> Is there any other implementation that could give us this?

In case we support invariant module names (maybe optional to decide beween
speed and ease-of-use) we could copy some code from Module::Pluggable.
The case invariant stuff had to come from use and we would need some kind of
cache, maybe Memoize for the function that resolves a given type, contraint,
filter, ... to a module name/path.

In my point of view that is more for 2.0 than important now.
I was just thinking about the way to write the yaml files and to see right
away which types are being declared.

Greets,
Mario