[Fwd: [Html-widget] formfu - big changes!]

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:07:00 GMT 2007

On 15/03/07, Mario Minati <mario.minati at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 15 März 2007 12:24 schrieb Carl Franks:
> > On 12/03/07, Mario Minati <mario.minati at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Von:  Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com>
> > > Why don't you put in a 'lc' or 'ucfirst' so everyone can decide himself
> > > howto write the elements?
> >
> > I'm not sure about this, because it would require us to do a full
> > directory scan of all dirs in @INC.
> > Although I'm trying not to optimize in advance, I do need formfu to be
> > light weight enough to run in a CGI (non-persistent) environment.
>
> mod_perl? module preload?

Our main platform is CGI - no modperl, no fastcgi - and I have no
control over that.
I know about pperl, but haven't been able to get it to pass it's
memory leak tests.
I do hope to be able to look into it some time, but my C is
weak-to-non-existant.

> > I'm sure if case-insensitivity meant such a scan happening on every
> > miss, most people would just use the correct case as a matter of
> > course, so we wouldn't really gain anything in adding it.
>
> No, I meant to force lower case module names, but give the user the
> opportunity to write the type in the case he wants to and force it to
> lowercase with lc.

What I meant about being unsure of the name changes - was that if
there's a consensus that the element type deserves the higher
visibility that camelCase gives - that I'm happy for the file names to
be changed back.
My point was that I feel giving the type the higher visibility
detracts from the element name.
I do think though that we need to decide on one, and stick with it - I
don't think it's an aspect that really deserves user-settable options
- and having different ways of naming would mean example configs (sent
to the list or in the docs) would need translated by the user into the
case of their choice - which I think would be an unnecessary pain.

Carl