[Leeds-pm] [northwestengland.pm] IRC Server Software

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Thu Feb 18 20:36:37 GMT 2010

On 18 Feb 2010, at 16:45, Smylers wrote:
> We have VPN access, but people (quite reasonably) tend to use it when
> they need to.  I'm hoping we can nurture an IRC culture of the team
> having a window open by default; I suspect many of us don't mind joining
> in an out-of-hours chat if we happen to spot it, but it's less likely we
> will see it the higher the barrier to being logged in.

We use client certs for everything including IRC at work - which is easy for people once they're set up. In client space that means that Chatzilla will work out of the box (using whatever cert you have on Moz's keychain). Other clients probably won't do ssl or maybe will do ssl but not present a cert to the server. In that case use stunnel locally to proxy the connection and then connect to localhost with your client.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten